Small bioI studied Physics at the University of Granada, and got interested in statistical physics and its applications. then moved to Mallorca to study the Master in Physics of Complex Systems. Now I'm finishing my PhD studies under the direction of M.A Muñoz at Granada and Raffaella Burioni at Parma, where I'm styuding synchronization properties and its relationship with critical phenomena in the brain. Other research interest are in theoretical ecology, evolutionary theory, music theory, and field theory. I also like a lot talking about science (in general), science fiction, playing videogames, and making music.
(Click for details)
I am currently doing by PhD in a co-tutelle between the universities of Granada (Spain) and Parma (Italy), under the supervision of Miguel Ángel Muñoz and Raffaella Burioni, respectively. I started in November 2017.
I am mainly focused in the study of neuronal models, and in particular, we are working now in the role of inhibitory synapses in the brain.
I studied my Master Degree in the Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Physics and Complex Systems (IFISC), which is affiliated to the University of the Balearic Islands and the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). I obtained a mark of 9.42 over 10, being top of my promotion. I got several honor mentions during the courses.
My Master Thesis was done under the supervision of Manuel Matías (IFISC) and Ricardo Martínez (University of Princeton), proposing and studying a model of bacterial growth mediated by quorum sensing. You can read it here.
I studied a 4-years 240 ECTS degree in Physics at the University of Granada (UGR), obtaining a mark of 8.20 over 10. I also obtained honor mentions in all subjects related to numerical simulation and statistical physics during the degree.
My Final Degree work was done under the supervisision of Elvira Romera and Manuel Calixto (UGR). In this work I analyzed the quantum phase transitions in a 2-state bosonic model.
- Summer School in Computational and Theoretical Models in Neuroscience, Venice, September 2019
- School and Workshop on Patterns of Synchrony: Chimera States and Beyond, Trieste, May 2019
- GEFENOL Summer School on Statistical Physics of Complex Systems, IFISC, June 2016
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships: July of 2016, working with Manuel Matías at IFISC in individual-based models for bacterial growth. This evolved into my Master Thesis later.
- CNB V Introduction to Research: September 2017: just after finishing my M.Sc. I was one month in the National Biotechnology Center, in Madrid, working at Susanna Manrubia's lab This was the beginning of my first publication.
- Microbial Studies through 16S amplicon sequencing (Granada, 2020)
- Inference and learning: a statistical perspective (Granada, 2018)
- PhD course: Complex systems: dynamics, networks and collective behaviour in Physics, Neuroscience, and Systems Biology (Parma, 2018)
- Science OutReach Techniques (Granada, 2017)
- Python for Science and Technical Computing (Granada, 2016)
- History of Physics (Granada, 2016)
Collective Behaviour in Neurocience
Network Theory and Applications
Mathematical basis of Music
List of Publications
- V Buendía, S di Santo, JA Bonachela, MA Muñoz. Feedback mechanisms for self-organization to the edge of a phase transition. Frontiers in Physics. Accepted, 2020
- V Buendía, S di Santo, P Villegas, R Burioni, MA Muñoz. Self-organized bistability and its possible relevance for brain dynamics. Phys. Rev. Research 2 (013318) (2020)
- V Buendía, P Villegas, S di Santo, A Vezzani, R Burioni, MA Muñoz. Jensen's force and the statistical mechanics of cortical asynchronous states. Scientific Reports 9, 15183 (2019)
- V Buendía, MA Muñoz, S Manrubia. Limited role of spatial self-structuring in emergent trade-offs during pathogen evolution. Scientific Reports; 8, 12476. (2018)
Participation in Conferences
- Granada Seminar on Computational and Statistical Physics Granada, 2019
- School and Workshop on Patterns of Synchrony: Chimera States and Beyond Trieste, 2019
- Stochastic Models in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Venice, 2018
- Young Researchers at the Crossroads Workshop Palma de Mallorca, 2016.
- FisEs'18 Madrid, 2018
- XXIII National Conference on Statistical Physics and Complex Systems Parma, 2018
- Advanced Workshop on Nonequilibrium Systems in Physics, Geosciences, and Life Sciences Trieste, 2018.
- Crossroads in Complex Systems Palma de Mallorca, 2016.
- XXIII and XXIV National Conferences on Statistical Physics and Complex Systems, as Scientific Secretary. Parma, 2018-2019
Science Outreach Activies
- Organizer of activities at the European Researchers' Night at the Group of Condensed Matter Physics for 2019 and 2020
- Elected participant at "Somos Cientificos", a science outreach activity for primary and middle schools funded by Spanish Ministry of Science and FECYT (2018)
- Habitual collaborator in digital magazine Ulum, about popular science, from 2015 to 2018 and with ~20 articles published.
- Participant in Granada "Science Park" open day, making experiments for people.
- The "Divulgación" section in this blog is dedicated to science outreach in Spanish
- 2019: 3 CFU credits (30 hours) of Teaching Assitance in "Programazione applicata alla Fisica" at the University of Parma
- 2018: 3 CFU credits (30 hours) of Teaching Assitance in "Laboratori de Metodi Computazionali" at the University of Parma
- 2018: 12 hours of C++ for Scientific Calculus, given with the Association of Physics Students of the University of Granada